Monday, September 06, 2010

Whole Wheat Cinnamon Raisin Bread with Oats and Coconut

This one used up the rest of the flour in the house. I am sure burning through it! For fine french breads I like to use bread flour, which has about 25% more protein (aka gluten) which makes the bread structure stronger internally and lets it rise high. But, with breads with lots of additions like this I feel like it is kind of pointless and general flour works just as well.

I added egg in this time, and I can't really tell what it does to the bread. I think it gives it fluff by binding things together similarly to what the gluten does, but I can't find any information on this online. Anyone know?

Otherwise, I just let the raisins, yeast, sugar, and coconut soak for a while, then added the flour until it mixed right. But, I forgot to leave any for flouring the counter for kneeding, so I tried using the silicone mat Megan uses for chocolate and it worked great. A good thing to know for working with wet dough that you still want to work with.

Another nice tip I found for softer/chewier crusts is to just toss in a 1/2 cup of water into the oven while it is baking. The steam transfers heat well and it makes makes the crust not crumble.

I am also working on the cuttings on the top of the loafs, since they make them look so nice! And that works with my philosophy: good looking food tastes better.

No comments: