Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Presidential update

I have been reading and writing about how I see the changing presidential primary field and with under seven weeks until Iowa - things are getting close.

So here are some changes that I have been noticing.
  • My assurance that Hilliary has the lock on the Democratic nomination took a big hit this last week. Perhaps I spoke too soon! After her dismantling at last week's debate she has hit problem after problem while Obama and Edwards are going strong. In fact, a new Iowa poll showed all three of them lined up in the mid to low 20s and Hillary's lead in New Hampshire is dropping as well. So look for a tighter race going in.
  • Key however, is that while Obama is rising in Iowa and NH - he still has a long way to go for the rest of "super-duper" Tuesday. but I think he has a chance now.
  • Question: If Edwards were to quit today, where would his supporters go? My guess is strongly Obama, but I will have to sniff this one out.

  • I would up Mitt Romney to first place in the Republican odds after Giuliani has said that he is skipping New Hampshire and Iowa. But I thought he had such nation wide appeal? Romney is going the opposite way and I think it will pay off in the end.
  • Ron Paul had a killer fund raising streak last week earning him $5+ Million in one day. Perhaps Republicans will have to stop ignoring/black listing him now! However, I do not see this changing his odds of winning. It does up his chance of influencing the future of the republican party however.
  • Huckabee is creeping up there, keep an eye on this Souther Baptist minister - he is a dark horse. And when he says holy warrior stuff like this it only makes him stronger:
“People look at my record and say that I’m as strong on immigration, strong on terror as anybody. In fact I think I’m stronger than most people because I truly understand the nature of the war that we are in with Islamo fascism. These are people that want to kill us. It’s a theocratic war. And I don’t know if anybody fully understands that. I’m the only guy on that stage with a theology degree. I think I understand it really well. And know the threat of it is absolutely overwhelming to us.”

No comments: