Friday, May 18, 2007

New Job! Macalester here I come...

I have been offered and accepted the position of Visual Resource Assistant at Macalester College starting June 1st. I will continue to work for St. Olaf as Visual Resource Curator until August 31st when my contract with them expires. The job search to find my replacement is already underway. My only condition that needs to be worked out with Mac HR is to change the title to Visual Resource Curator because it is virtually identical to the position I am in now at St. Olaf and I don't want it to look like a demotion on my resume. Everything else is great, it is virtually the same pay rate I receive at St. Olaf but 20 hours a week instead of 10. It is also only about 2 miles away instead of nearly 50, so I will be saving about $25 on gas a week! I also have access to their health care package that I can buy into if I wish, and I will remain in an academic setting which I like.

In my phone interview, there was also talk about possibly transforming this position from a part time hourly, to a full time salaried position in a year. That is still to far to really plan for, but the excitement and energy behind this position really has me excited for its possibilities.

I am looking forward to getting things started up again and applying what I have learned at St. Olaf to to Macalester. And to think, all this started four years ago when I needed to find a job while Megan took organic chemistry. Funny how that works.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dear Christopher,

Congratulations on securing the Visual Resources position at Macalester College. A great place to work, I think. I believe Macalester is the real winner here. They've hired a gifted young man.

Okay, I admit I'm biased.

Jim Mulrooney

dwatland said...

Congrats! Macalester is very lucky to get such a talent!