Thursday, May 17, 2007

Life at the end of the year

Today was the very last lecture of my first year of vet school...! It doesn't quite feel like the end of the year because we still have a few things to finish (a talk to high schoolers about the link between animal abuse and violence against people, a practical exam on conducting a physical, 14 hours' worth of my preceptorship, and a behavior final), but at least there's no more sitting for hours in room 125! Winnie spent two whole days at school this week as an unwilling volunteer for the physical exam labs, but after being palpated a hundred times, she had a great time hanging out with everyone else's dogs all day. Since my parking permit expired with the end of the undergrad school year last week, I've had to park off campus, which gave me and Win a good reason for a nice long morning and afternoon walk every day.

I've been poking around for jobs for months now with no real luck. I keep following leads that sound good, but end up falling through or not sounding as good as I thought they did. My newest idea is working as an animal care person at the Animal Humane Society in Golden Valley.... wish me luck! At the very least, I got the six week long internship at the Wildlife
Rehab Clinic, so that will give me the clinical experience that I really wanted this summer. I also signed up for a shift at the Miracle of Birth center at the State Fair... yay baby animals!

We had our housewarming party on Saturday, which was both a lot of fun and a great way to force us to unpack and clean up. I think we counted 23 people who came. Thanks to everyone who made it! We'll post pictures soon.

1 comment:

Bjorn Watland said...

Jeannette and I got Zelda at the GV Humane Society. And, we've dropped off a stray who got adopted in a few days there.