Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Take the bus

I was trying to find information about the future of light rail that will run by our window, but instead got involved with the bus route maps and liked what I found!

For Megan, the 87 (left) drives right past our window and then goes north to the U. There is a bus stop a block away from our door, and it only should take 10-15 min to get there! Add in a "U pass" for $62 a semester and thats a good deal.

Also the 50 and the 16 run by our door as well, with the 16 being high frequency and the 50 being limited stops (one of which we have). Both the 50 and the 16 run the line to both downtown Minneapolis and St. Paul, and conveniently makes a stop right near my favorite brewpub, Town Hall Brewery.

Good deal all around! I am not planning on selling any cars yet, but if this is as good as it looks it might be a possibility...

4 comments:

Bjorn Watland said...

Jeannette has gone to school for 4 years with no car. Sure, without a car, there are no road trips, and no trips to IKEA, and if I didn't work in Little Canada, I'd get rid of my car. With the cost of insurance, gas, maintenance, and car washes, $62 a semester is a steal. Especially when you can ride the bus and light rail whenever and where ever you want. Jeannette and I went to the Twins game last night, and took the bus. The only trick is catching a bus later at night, there aren't as many buses running, so it can be tricky. It turns out, we only live 3 miles away from the dome, so it's an easy walk. Even groceries aren't a problem, as long as you don't haul 6 bags along with you. Just buy less at a time, and go to the store more often.

Chris Schommer said...

Sure, yeah I know it works out pretty well for you two. $62 is how much I pay for insurance for a month! That is virtually free.

I can't see living with no car but life with one and having to use that less sure would be nice.

Anonymous said...

Just saying it's not as bad as it sounds. I think you'll find yourself driving less and less, walking around more, or biking, saving on gas, it's all a benefit of living near things.

Chris Schommer said...

__O
-\<,
( )( )

(thats a biker)