Friday, May 30, 2008

We are Engaged!

Yup we finally did it! After five years, two schools, living apart, and living together we got engaged on a chilly north woods night under an amazing starry night sky. It was a spontaneous surprise for both of us! My plan (and Megan guessed too) was to wait until later this summer around our anniversary, but everything just lead right up to it and there wasn't much I could do about it. I got the ring early thanks to my Dad (who was an unwitting courier from Grand Marais), got the ring back from having the center stone set the day we left, I had it in my pocket, and the stars were out in numbers that we have not seen since nearly five years ago on the night we fell in love. And I realized that I couldn't wait a moment longer than this!

So there on the dock, with Winnie guarding us from the woods monsters, I asked Megan if she would marry me. Several times. And she said yes every time! She asked me several times too :)

We enjoyed the weekend hiding out in the woods and had every imaginable kind of weather. It was sunny and warm in the day and then fell into the 30s and it snowed. It rained and thundered and then got sunny. So we went for lots of walks and took a trip across the lake to see the roaring waterfall and got to sit around and read by the fire. Winnie went feral for a while but did real good and we gave her lots of freedom to run where she pleased.

Then it was time to come back and great the world with our news. We both had fun sitting on a swing in Grand Marais alternately calling family members and friends. And now we are "Facebook official," meaning our relationship status changed to "engaged." This is some kind of wedding 2.0 here.

We will write more later, including possibly setting up a side blog, but here is a slide show of our trip for now.

No comments: