Tuesday, May 29, 2007

More Google map fun

Google maps has done it again, this time with "Street View." Right now its just a few cities, but for example here is where I lived when I was in New York last year. You can rotate 360˚ and then "drive" all over the city. They must have had a van with a panoramic camera taking shots every few feet, tied that info to GPS, and the figured out how to map that all together perfectly.

If I had had this last year, I could have taken a virtual walk from the subway to my apartment in NY before I did it in real life. Cool.

1 comment:

Bjorn Watland said...

I've seen vans running around towns with cameras all over inside. I had a friend in school who knew a guy who worked for a company which sold the photo information to investigators and such. He was impressed when the guy could pull up a photo of his house, about three photos which were taken from the street.