Monday, May 14, 2007

Late night update

Well I missed the 7:00 AND 10:00 WTIP updates but I have gathered a few links to make up for it.

Tuscarora blog has a good first person assessment of the fire that goes along with an NPR piece that I heard. The point being that even though portions of the fire have blackened everything, large parts of it have left things is a patchwork of trees ready to spring back.

MNICS put out their news release at 6:00 about the fire. Basic outline being there was good progress today on the fire with 20% now contained. The Canadian side seems like the bad spot to be right now. The "finger" area has been pretty well contained with brute force and the cooperation of the winds.

It is my feeling now that the real danger has passed on this fire, at least on the US side of it. With the rain and the low winds, the crews up there have gotten a good hold on the dangerous areas. A big wind could always change things, but as of right now I feel that at least the east bearskin is safe. It is good to know that the sprinkler systems that seemed so dubious when we installed them years ago work as well as they do, so if the next campfire that blows out of control is 1 or 2 miles away instead of 20 or 30, we know there is protection that works.

Hopefully I can catch tomorrows 10:00 AM fire update, and I will carry that on here as usual.

No comments: