Thursday, May 10, 2007

Gunflint evacuation

The Gunflint trail after County Rd. 90 has been ordered to evacuate immediately. I have updated the Google map with this new information. No one is saying what this means, or what the fire has done, but needless to say it is not good. This evacuation covers Gunflint lake and Loon lake, two places we really care about and where we know people who live there.

UPDATE 6:35 PMAccording to the the Duluth News Trubune the reason for the sudden evacuation is the controlled burn that I was so positive before has now gotten out of control.
An intentional fire lit today near Magnetic Lake, which was supposed to head north, also headed east early today, into Canada and directly across Gunflint Lake from hundreds of people.
They are describing this as a "worst case" and I don't think they are too far off. I have also updated the map to show a better idea of the size of the controlled burn that is not so controlled.

Also, here is a photo my dad took of my friends Tom, John and my self heading right to where the fire is right now, in the summer of 2002. We are heading to a gap called the Gunflint narrows, and I bet that is where the fire jumped into Canada.

No comments: