Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Tragedy and politics

Via the usual BoingBoing - an internet gem that was actually written on September 12th 2001. I have removed reference to that tragedy and it reads as a cliff-notes response to any horrific event.
Of course the ________________ are/is a uniquely tragic event, and it is vital that we never lose sight of the human tragedy involved. However, we must also consider if this is not also a lesson to us all; a lesson that my political views are correct. Although what is done can never be undone, the fact remains that if the world were organised according to my political views, this tragedy would never have happened.

Many people will use this terrible tragedy as an excuse to put through a political agenda other than my own. This tawdry abuse of human suffering for political gain sickens me to the core of my being. Those people who have different political views from me ought to be ashamed of themselves for thinking of cheap partisan point-scoring at a time like this. In any case, what this tragedy really shows us is that, so far from putting into practice political views other than my own, it is precisely my political agenda which ought to be advanced


The whole thing is here. Written by "JSM."

No comments: