Thursday, April 26, 2007

I should just rename this "The Dog Food Blog"

Yesterday, the Holistic Club hosted a rep from Natura foods (Innova, California Naturals) to come talk about their foods and to kick off a new free feeding program for vet students. I thought it went quite well, even though the rep got a little torn up by some tough questions ("Who says dogs don't do fine on by products?" "Why is it not good for dogs to eat a grain-based diet?" "Corn is digestible- why should it not be in a pet food?" etc). She answered them pretty well, basically stating that their company's philosophy is that fresh, whole foods equals better nutrition, and better nutrition equals healthier pets. Not everyone shares that philosophy, and that's fine, but she wanted people to be aware of it because we'll have clients who are looking for a food like that.

Someone asked her why they feel by-products are bad, when we know that wolves eat organ meats in the wild, and her response was something along the lines of, "You wouldn't want to be feeding your kids that stuff, would you?" Of course that lead to an uproar of "Dogs are a lot different from kids!" I just rolled my eyes, because I was afraid she'd pull some of the emotional-type marketing lines that I hate seeing in holsitic/natural foods. There are so many great reasons to feed less processed foods besides "you wouldn't want to be feeding your kids that stuff." But the more I think about it, the more I realize that that pretty much sums up why I feed Winnie a diet that uses human-grade meat. I hear a lot of people say "Dogs are dogs, if they had it their way they'd be living off cat poop and garbage scraps- they don't need human-grade meat." Sure, but if your 5-year-old had it his way he'd be living off hot dogs and Kool-Aid. The point of being smarter than your dog/kid is that you can give them a healthy environment to live and grow, including nutritionally. I'm not saying dogs can't live long, healthy lives on foods that use by-products and corn, or that people who feed IAMS don't consider their dogs family members. But for Winnie, I want her eating food that wasn't rejected from the human food supply- not because I think she's human, but because I have serious concerns about why it was rejected.

I'm still working out my own philosophy on pet food. I'm trying my best to stay objective, which is surprisingly difficult. I wish I could defer to science and say, well, the studies show that [such and such formula] leads to healthy, long-lived pets, but alas, I don't think that will ever happen. People get great results on Ol' Roy, people get terrible results on Eagle Pack. For now I'll just do the best for Winnie that I know how, and hopefully in three years I'll have a decent reply prepared for when clients ask me, "So what brand of food should I be feeding?"

Anyway, I think the meeting went well. The next goal is to get ready for the wetlab on Saturday! This week is uber Holistic Club week.

7 comments:

carddesignrr said...

Custom Pet Portrait Design Service:
Carddesignrr is a fun-loving custom pet goods brand dedicated to helping pet owners express their love, adoration, and sometimes even their obsessiveness, with their beloved pets.
https://www.upwork.com/fl/carddesignrr

product photo editor said...

Can you imagine your pet face printed on to our authentic custom renaissance portrait/funny portrait/superhero portrait?
Upload your pet image
My services here
similiar to crown and paws

pop pet

pet portrait

portrait of pet

portrait of pets

portraits of pets

dog painted

paintings dog

pet canvas

pet on canvas

dog painter

paintings of pets

pets portraits

pet painting

portraits for pets

dog portrait

dog portraits

dogs portraits

painted pets

pet painter

pet painters

portraits of dogs

watercolor of dog

Gentle Great Danes Home said...

Hi, thank you for such a brilliant post. I have been reading some blogs that gives me more knowledge about Sweden 2020 day-3; I must say this is one of the best among them. You have done a great research for I feel, thanks for sharing. See cheap great dane puppies for sale

product photo editor said...

Can you imagine your pet face printed on to our authentic custom renaissance portrait/funny portrait/superhero portrait?
Upload your pet image
My services here
similiar to crown and paws

custom pet portrait

dog portrait

renaissance pet portrait

cat portrait

renaissance portrait

historical portrait

royal portrait

renaissance painting

oil painting

renaissance pet

royal painting

king portrait

royal pet portrait

cartoon portrait

queen portrait

portrait realistic

royalty portrait

Try once Upload your photo

Regards,
Md Shahin A

nutrition and health said...

I am a future Registered Dietitian Nutritionist based in NC, recently I am writing a blog discussing nutrition and health

Roger said...

Keep sharing these kind of blogs. It is entertaining to read these blogs. donate to poor families

tree plantation said...

I have perused a ton about it, and I think we concluded that assuming we get a dog we would make our own nourishment for it as you did. I try to avoid all of the garbage they put in dog food.• good food